Friday, November 25, 2011

I'm Back (by the scruff of my neck!)


 Via Web Cam tonight


G'day


I'm finally posting after a HELL of a year (2011).


April 30th I was found in bed raving and dying! (apparently)
Yeah..."big time" drama as I had an massive infection in my left leg (groin region) that was  I quote;



Necrotizing fasciitis (NF), commonly known as flesh-eating disease or Flesh-eating bacteria syndrome,[1] is a rare infection of the deeper layers of skin and subcutaneous tissues, easily spreading across the fascial plane within the subcutaneous tissue.


- Courtesy Wikipedia.


Flesh Eating Bacteria!
Well...Judicious H. Priest with tap dancin' knobs on!!!.




I'm unclear how I got it but thank "Allah" my housemate checked on me and called my friend "Gordo" whom as an registered nurse knew I was in a bad state and rang for the Ambo's (ambulance).






I knew nothing of this as my last thoughts were a day before feeling sick and in a bad read "shitty" mood!





Interesting side bar here; "Gordo" told me he was "following" the ambulance vehicle when it stopped and the driver joined his partner in the back and stayed for a "good while" before resuming the journey...he surmises I may have had a respiratory arrest and was resuscitated/stabilised before continuing...I don't know...I was out of it!



So after arriving finally at my local hospital, Wollongong, I spent 3 weeks being operated on and being in induced coma on a ventilator and being tube fed.


After waking up but unable to speak as I had a tube in my trachea  - my best mate Gordo told me the story as what had been done to me, and how long I was out...I just wanted to know, he told me - was did I still have BOTH legs!(I had visions of my childhood hero "Douglas Bader")
Gordo said I acknowledged via eye rolls and nodding.
I WAS pretty "doped up" and don't remember much that bears disclosing here at present!


Transferred via road ambulance over 120 kilometers to Sydney, I arrived at Concord Hospital (CGRH) Concord General Repatriation Hospital ("Repat") which incidentally celebrated it's 70 years of service as it serves as a veterans hospital as well as the public from beginning of World War II right though to today's conflicts.


It has the State's best burns unit as I needed skin grafts to my left leg as I'd lost a large amount of tissue...I had a total of either 11 or 14 procedures (operations) all up and had to learn how to walk again!

(what a sight...me under a tiny Irish physiotherapist staggering/shuffling down the corridor, in a hospital gown at first with my arse hanging out!).


I will tell anyone that may "SEE" the damage that a "big bloody "croc" got me!".


Lost a heap of weight (now that's a plus!) but now suffered unfortunately from Diabetes but I got weened off the injections and got tablets to take to which I am VERY gratefully for (bloody bruises from the needles hurt!) - O.K I'm a wuzz! and I try allot to be careful what I eat now too!


So 4 Months in Hospital then finally 2 weeks in a rehab unit just down the road at the "Royal Ryde" (Royal Ryde Rehabilitation Center) and I spent over a month at my brothers before I moved back down to the area I used to live and got another place to live by my self at Berkeley NSW.


I suffer from nerve damage caused the untreated diabetic condition, in both feet and pain again is my companion but in spite of this I am SO glad to still be ALIVE!  


I NEVER could have survived with friends and family - I am in their debt so I need to live the best life I can and not waste it I think.


Many people on my yahoo e-list group ABSEA

 prayed for me when a Aussie friend Jack emailed with the bad news of my illness - I can't believe so many people I have never met in person "thought" of me and had me on "pray wheels" in their churches, I was told later.






I NOW realise in this life...the "solo man" act doesn't cut it if you want to live in the light...I remind myself everyday of that.


I'm not sure who may read this but to anyone that was involved...thanks!


 

No comments:

Uncle's Blog Archive